#1 Skill for the 21st Century (Part 1 of 3)

As we discussed in Leadership for a Changing World, technology, knowledge and change are expanding exponentially. Technology and globalization will continually challenge entrepreneurs to stay relevant and competitive.

The top 10 jobs of 2010 didn’t even exist in 2004.
The U.S. Department of Labor reports that today’s learner will have 10-14 jobs by age 38.

Besides your continual and never-ending practice of learning and self-improvement, what will be your No. 1 asset during these expanding and

fast-changing times? Unequivocally, it will be the relationships you can build.

If we want to calculate your potential for increased wealth, we would not look at your current bank balance, cars or property inventory; we would look at the inventory of your quality and high-caliber relationships.

Darren Hardy networking series 1 of 3

Therefore, the No. 1 skill you will want to hone, practice and master will be your ability to NETWORK. Your ability to get to, connect with and establish relationships with important and purposeful people with will be your gateway to any goal, destination or aspiration you have.

In this post, I want to pull the curtain open on one of the most spellbinding and fear-gripping illusions there are about networking and connecting with your “Big Kahuna” or dream targets.

Just like in the classic book, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, people build up a front about who they are. You will remember that Oz did his best to portray himself as mysterious, powerful and frightening, appearing once as a giant head, once as a beautiful fairy, once as a ball of fire and once as a horrible monster and then at last when he finally grants an audience to Dorothy and her friends he is invisible—nothing but a disembodied voice.

But when the curtain is finally pulled back it is found that Oz is actually none of these things, but rather a kind, ordinary man from Omaha, Nebraska, who has been using a lot of elaborate magic tricks and props to make himself appear great and powerful to the people of Oz.

This is true about a lot of people who appear to be very imposing and powerful—behind the fanciful press releases and elaborate packaging, they are really only normal, frail, sensitive, vulnerable, fearful, hopeful, generous and flawed human beings… just like the rest of us.

And many times it is not even the attempt at wizardry on the part of the subject; rather, it is the illusion OTHER PEOPLE invent or create about them. In fact I would say this is more often the case.

One of the great benefits of my role as publisher of SUCCESS is the opportunity to meet and spend time with some of the most celebrated and revered people on earth. I can tell you firsthand, every one of these “famous superstars” is just as normal as your next-door neighbor or second cousin. Really, people like Richard Branson, Oprah Winfrey, Mehmet Oz, Donald Trump, Maria Shriver, or whomever, while they have done some pretty extraordinary things and have some very insightful philosophies and ideas to share, they themselves are simply flesh and bones wrestling with the same human frailties we all do.

Let me give you a quick, really recent example. In our upcoming May issue of SUCCESS I will introduce you to Peter Guber. Peter is the former chairman and CEO of Columbia and Sony Pictures Entertainment, where his movies earned over $3 billion and garnered him 50 Academy Award nominations. His company now, Mandalay Entertainment, is the largest owner of professionally affiliated baseball teams and stadiums in the United States. And along with partners, he recently purchased the NBA Golden State Warriors for $450 million.

When he was head of Sony Entertainment, there were thousands of employees and contractors who would shiver at the mere mention of his name or his entrance into the same room . Actors, directors and screenplay writers would lay awake at night for weeks, fear stricken about their upcoming meeting or opportunity to present to him. This continues to be true today, now not only in Hollywood but also in sports entertainment.

Several weeks ago he invited me to his home in Bel Air. I found him to be extremely gracious, warm, humble, open, sincere and affable. He talked about his struggles, hopes and unrealized passions. He invited me to his home because he needed help. He was publishing a book and needed help and insight on the book-publishing world (great book by the way: Tell to Win). For a man who plays at the pinnacle of power, fame and society’s most celebrated achievements, he was very open and vulnerable about what he didn’t know and that he needed help.

Here is the key point: People are just people. No matter how one’s press agent has packaged them or what society’s meme has built up about them, they DO put their pants on one leg at a time… and all have fears, needs, hopes and unfulfilled desires like the rest of us. When you embrace the idea that behind the curtain there is just another kind and normal human being, it will evaporate the fear or hesitation you have about reaching out and networking with them.

Who is your Big Kahuna target? What one prospective relationship (within reason, Oprah can’t be everyone’s target) would make the biggest difference to the achievement of your goals? Start networking your way today.

Comments

1. Shari says:

What is trackbacks?

2. Shari says:

Awesome info…love your magazine and look forward to next episodes of this one…

3. Rhea says:

“. . . they are really only normal, frail, sensitive, vulnerable, fearful, hopeful, generous and flawed human beings… just like the rest of us.” — That is so poetic and poignant and . . . true.

4. Hi Darren:

You are so right! All people are just people like you and I. Everyone has dreams they hope to fulfil one day. For those who have recognized their dream Kudos to them and for those who are still trying “Keep hope alive, it will happen”. I believe I am one of those who have continued to strive by moving forward everyday and only looking back to make sure that I have stayed on a straight path.

I work with clients from all walks of life, in every area of demographics and in all levels of wealth in their lives; The one thing we all have in common, is we are all looking forward to a better tomorrow. And a chance to do ‘It” better than we did today.

I have to admit that through Success Magazine, I have been able to keep my head up high while striving for the prize — I give “Thanks” to a higher power, to you and the encouragement of your host each month. Becoming apart of the Success family has been the best thing I have ever done to this date. As an entrepreneur in my Real Estate business there has been days where I had to stay continually encouraged just to get over the next hurdle. Your aticles and lessons from your guest has greatly contributed to my feelings of encourament and progress. From the day I started reading your articles only a year ago, until now I know that my Success is only one CD away. Thank you for your continually encouragment, Thank you for your guidance. Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!.

Charlene

Have a Bless Week

5. Hi Darren:

You are so right! All people are just people like you and I. Everyone has dreams they hope to fulfil one day. For those who have kudos to them and for those who are still trying keep hope alive, it will happen. I believe I am one of those who have continued to strive by moving forward everyday and only looking back to make sure that I have stayed on a straight path.

However I have to admit that through Success Magazine, I have been able to keep my head up high while striving for the gold — I give Thanks to a higher power and the encouragement of your host each month. Becoming apart of the Success family has been the best thing I have ever done to this date. As an entrepreneur in my Real Estate business there has been days where I had to stay continually encouraged just to get over the next hurdle. Your aticles and lessons from your guest has greatly contributed to my feelings of encourament and progress. From the day I started reading your articles only a year ago, Until now I know that my Success is only one CD away. Thank you for your continually encouragment, Thank you for your guidance. Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!.

Charlene

Have a Bless Week

6. carlos quirch says:

Darren you are fantastic to me you are more interesting than most of the people you profile on Success magazine,please write more books!!!!! Thank You for all that you do!!

7. Patti Tobin says:

Connie:
    Thanks for the article and have a wonderful birthday! My birthday is the 22nd of March and I will be in surgery that day for a new knee. So birthday presents can sure come in strange ways!

Have a good one!
    Patti

8. Hi Darren,
    First, I love Success magazine. Thanks for bringing the wisdom of the world’s great leaders to us in a way that’s fresh, timely and relevant.

Second, great post! I’m an introvert, and my business focuses on empowering introverts to be successful while being authentic. And your post is all about the importance of authenticity in networking. For many introvert entrepreneurs, networking is a challenge. And most think that it’s the tactical part – the “elevator pitch” or how to break into conversations or introduce yourself to someone new. Your message reminds us that most of what intimidates us about networking is *in our heads.* It’s the stories we make up about other people that keep us from remembering that they’re vulnerable beings, too.

Many introverts also think they have to become the Great Oz (ie, faking extroversion) in order to be a good networker. Not so. If we approach networking as relationship building and focus on listening, being curious and letting our natural passion shine through, then we’ll experience easier connections.

And the bottom line is that we all – whether we’re Oprah or the person sweeping up after the event, introvert or extrovert – want to be seen, heard and appreciated for who we are.

Darren, thanks for your wonderful perspective and great advice!

Thanks Beth! Sounds like great work you are doing helping others to break out of their shell and build strong relationships. Keep it up! :)

9. vinod mehra says:

Hi Darren

With you enviable position at Success, your advise comes from the pedestal of pure concentrate experiencing and talking to people at the helm. Your current advise on NETWORK is the NET WORTH is also enviable hence am twitting to friends in my network in FB and LI

10. Heidi Hurd says:

Absolutely wonderful article! I have found in this modern age or Social Networking, people are able to watch you from the comforts of their own homes… be a continually good human and role model, people will absolutely want to relationship with you because of it!

Thanks for the wonderful post!

Best,
    Heidi Hurd
    Living the Inspired Life

11. Arton says:

What a Sales Article ;)

12. Caitlin Grace says:

awesome article ! Look forward to the next ones!

13. As always Darren very insightful, thanks again for the reminder. When thinking of the so called Big Kahuna I tend to forget we are all one under the skin.
    As for the Big ones I like to connect with I’d say Tony Robbins and John Maxwell would be top on my list. Sense I missed the master Jim Rohn.
    And of course after investing hours listening to your interviews on the monthly CD in Succes Magazine I’d love to connect with you, I could quite possibly snag some of that high energy and skills that you seem experience each day.
    Peace & Blessings,
    Billy Mitchell

14. Lynda A says:

I actually did exactly this a couple of months ago! I saw a news episode that featured a woman who is the facilitator for an Unemployed Professionals group at our local Career Center. She mentioned that she allowed presenters to come in and talk with her group. It took me multiple attempts via phone and email, but I finally connected with her. She allowed me to present to her group yesterday morning about the business industry I’m in. She said it was the best presentation she has seen in 4 years to that group and now she is going to help me connect with other organizations! No goal or target is too high! Reach for them all!

Great connection! Kudos Lynda!!!

15. Kathleen says:

WOW!!! Is right.
    I spend sooo much time trying to keep up with all the latest software releases, maintaining certifications, and such, sometimes I lose track of what is really important; my relationships with my clients. Most do not necessarily care if I have all the answers to every question about the latest and greatest software. However, they do care if I check in with them “just because”; not to try to sell them something.
    But this is really something to think about……..I need to make a list of my “dream connections”. Better yet, I would love to find out how to sit and have a 15 minute conversation with them. Now that would be something……..

16. tim flaherty says:

darren is a terrific mentor to me

17. Fazlee says:

It would be great to learn how to connect with achievers like Richard Branson, Mr Gruber, etc as I always wanted to have a chance to connect with people like them. To learn from their experiences, early struggle, opinions and lots more. I wonder if they ever see wherethey are now back in their early struggle.

-Fazlee

Stay tuned, Fazlee! :)

18. Great article Darren and something I am absolutely passionate about. But there is a skill to networking – and it is being clear that the goal isn’s one of ‘what can I get out of this relationship’ but rather ‘what can I give to this relationship’. The old art of reciprocity plays out big time in networking and building quality connections – not just filling up your address book. I have recently launched a networking community here in Australia with the aim of connecting like-minded results oriented women – to work collaborative to drive change and results. The results already of the quality networking, confidential conversations and sharing each others knowledge, experience and insight is phenomenal.

19. Lee Abbott says:

This article is eye-opening. I totally agree with you based on my experience with higher-level Mastermind groups. People would actually be shocked at how vulnerable and approachable most “big hitters” actually are… Networking is becoming more exciting than ever! Thanks Darren – Lee

20. Gina Rafkind says:

Thank you for this! This feels so true to me and makes me realize many things.
    One thing is it makes me have this tremendous feeling that I can do whatever I put my mind to, just like some famous people have done.
    However, I am curious to the ‘more to come’ that you told Keith H. :)

Good Evening Mr Hardy,
    I have always wondered what your take on interviewing top people is. Thanks for sharing. Truly influential people understand that their is nothing to be gained through a God complex. Typically if you are intimidating, you are that way to hide insecurities or other personality defects. My father always told me: “You never have to tell people how great you are. Just be great, really great, and they will tell you!” When I think of the “Big Kahuna”, I think of the story that Hill tells in “Think And Grow Rich” about the man who was determined to work with Thomas Edison, or the things that Jim Rohn said that he would do to “get around” the right people. It is an interesting concept. Personally, I believe that if I can just create enough value for those around me, the connections will come. And, while I wait; I learn. Thanks for being a Big Kahuna! I am proud of you for opening up to create constant and powerful value for your readers!

22. Myles Miller says:

Darren —

Another insightful and powerful article. Can’t wait to read Part 2. I have referenced it and shared the link to it from our CentralPAExperts.com site, for others to learn from as well. I agree with your approach and encourage others to live out each day with a motto of “FEAR NO MORE”. Here’s hoping everyone is inspired by your article and goes after their “Big Kahuna”.

Thanks for spreading the word, Myles! :)

23. Charm says:

Thank You Darren for a great post! I’ve been around multi-millionaires and billionaires and yes, they are the same like the rest of us. They all have physical, mental, and emotional issues. They all need love and compassion.

I’ve been pondering whether or not to invest money on going to a Women Entrepreneur Conference later this year and after reading your post, I surely will! I also remember what you said in the Conclusion of the The Compound Effect that it takes 5-7 years to master anything. So, my mastery of being a world-class entrepreneur starts now. I’m also consistent with my WRR which always tells the truth so it’s very hard these days to fool myself.

Thank you! You are one of my Big Kahunas! I look forward to meeting you and Georgia in this lifetime.

Love & abundance,
    Charm

You can’t go wrong investing in yourself, Charm. ;)

24. Darren, great post! Thank you for all that you do!

This really hit home with me a couple of years ago when I was invited to have coffee with a billionaire entrepreneur who was interested in the advocacy work that I do. She walked into Starbucks in a jogging suit, gym shoes, and headband, as she’d just come from working out at a local gym. She really listened and cared about my work and what I had to say. She’s sweet, humble, and a genuinely kindhearted person. She’s human. What I learned about her, and something that I’ve learned about so many other entrepreneurs, is that she wants to help and wants me to do good. Many successful entrepreneurs LOVE helping others succeed!

What an important thing to remember – that no matter how accomplished they may be, people are still just people.

I know that in my life I have way too often been intimidated by those I looked up to, and that fear kept me from reaching out to those who could possibly be of help in my life’s journey.

Thanks so much for sharing this important insight Darren.

26. Great article as always Darren! I have met many successful and ‘powerful’ people in my line of work and like you said, at the end of the day they are just flesh and bone and just like any of us, have fears and insecurities. The only difference is that they have acted in spite of their fears and taken more risks and actions.

Sandip Joshi Reply:

You are 100% right Nalisha.
    Only one thing can hold us back is “Our own fer feeling” (I believe from my experiences they are just feelings not actual occurances, things or giants). As you said it rightly, when you confront fear and act world is yours !

27. Hiya Darren, great post and it sure made Me Sit UP and take notice and indeed Get Networking!! Thanks for sharing you vast knowledge with ‘US’ even when were not in the US A, the Search for ”Success” is Worldwide!!

Have your camera at the ready, should be a Super Sunset in Barcelona on Saturday evening, enjoy :-}

See Ya in Spain

Best

Wesley

In Barcelona and ready for Saturday, Wesley. See you all soon! :)

Wesley McMurray Reply:

That’s the way to do It, Darren!! Look forward to seeing and Hearing Your Message!! How’s the ‘Sunset’ :-}}

28. Darren,
    The article really hit home with me since my company deals with very large companies; I often am ‘star struck’ with their titles and do stress over meeting them.
    Also have downloaded Peter Guber’s book (Tell to Win) on my Kindle and it is wonderful!! I was on vacation in Maui actually missing whales because I had my nose in my Kindle. Powerpoint presentations tend to bore me; but how else do you describe your message. Now I know how; tell a story! My two grandchildren tell me I am good at that! I can’t wait to create our business story and start telling it. I highly recommend Peter Guber’s book!
    You are awesome Darren! I am addicted to Success!
    Best Wishes,
    Diana

29. Hiya Darren, great Post, thanks for sharing All your info with ‘US’,{even when we are not in the USA, the Search for ”Success” is Worldwide}. It sure does make me Sit Up and Take Notice and indeed ”Get Networking”. Should be a Fantastic ”Sunset in Barcelona”, Saturday evening, have your camera at the ready!!

See Ya in Spain,

Best Wesley

30. By accident I found out that what you state is true. I was only 19 when I started my real estate career in the mid seventies. I read business and social magazines to learn who the “elite” were. I was so naive that I didn’t know that you didn’t contact these people direct but were expected to go through the regular channels. As you stated, I found these people to be gracious and very eager to share their knowledge. Best of all, these people were more than happy to refer me to their friends. One of them gave me some great advice that I have never forgotten. As you climb the ladder of success, find a ladder where someone has already reached the top and climb that one. They won’t be stepping on your hands trying to keep you from touching their rung.

Keep up the great work.

31. Keith H says:

Fantastic insight Mr. Hardy, but Mr. Gruber and yourself are networked with very elite people, and can pick up the phone for a consult with any industry you like. My question to you is, how do we as normal non-connected folks network with those we admire or would like to learn from. It’s great to say you are normal folks and that we, your audience, should network with normal folks. But, how can we, not just reach out, but connect with folks like yourself, Mr. Gruber and, why not, Richard Branson, on a genuine level? I don’t exactly think any of you would take my call.

More to come on this Keith… we are only on Part 1! :-)

Flor Mazeda Reply:

Keith,

I’m a “normal ” person and I found and meet my friend and business partner Greg S Reid , author of “Three Feet From Gold” thru Facebook…..He said something that made me realize it was only “MY FEAR” that was holding me back……..He said —”Flor, we are just like you, most of us (meanning succesful people) started just like you, reaching out to the people we admire the most, we can not go out and look for talented people but if talented people reach out for us, we are here to help.”

Now I have lots of “Succesful Facebook Friends”, like Darren, Sharon Lechter, Ivanka Trump, Kevin Harrington, Ruben Gonzalez and many more, some thru fan pages but some thru their personal page……And you know what I found out?………………..They are really humans, just like you and me……….Reach our for them and you will connect, believe me I’m living proof it can happen.

Keith H Reply:

Mr. Hardy and Flor,

I will be patient for the next couple articles, and continue to reach out via the social and personal networks. Thank you both for the replies and inspiration to persevere.

Clare Kumar Reply:

Flor – this is the third time TODAY I’ve come across Keith Harrington’s name and I never heard it before. The product I was writing about above is perfect for as seen on tv. Hmmm, perhaps time to connect.

Clare Kumar Reply:

whoops, make that Kevin Harrington. Won’t get far with the wrong name!

32. Who is your Big Kahuna target? Create massive success in business and make a global contribution to educate & empower children in a way that ultimately results in an end to poverty. John Rockefeller, Henry Ford, Bill Gates, & Warren Buffett are great role models for me.

Continue to develop the realtionship & belief in myself that builds my confidence, skills, & ability to become a better business person, leader, philanthropist, student, father, husband, & friend.

33. Clare Kumar says:

I absolutely believe in aiming high. Just last weekend I met Peter Walsh (organizing expert and host of Enough Already! on OWN). I had been responding to facebook posts for about 6 months, and inviting him to see a product I’ve been working on for the past 18 months. Well, things came together and I was able to personally introduce him to the product in Chicago at a trade event. It was a great moment. And to your point Darren, he was as charming in person as I ever could have hoped for.

Aside – we aim to have the product in market in the summer. In the spirit of aiming high and being of service, would you like to be one of the first to try it? It takes the pain away from folding, putting away and retrieving clothes. It is also amazing for travel…which based on the number of sunset pictures I’ve observed you take recently, might come in handy.

34. Chris M says:

Thank you for the thoughtful article, Darren. And thank you for being one of the more approachable successful people I “know”.

I think we ‘lie awake in fear of the upcoming meeting’ with a super star or a super successful person because it is a reflection of how we perceive ourselves and our accomplishments. Yes, we realize they are human, but we also recognize they pushed through barriers we are currently struggling with, and they are now at a new level of success.

I find, when I am less confident in what I bring to a meeting with a successful business person, I have fear, nervousness; in the meeting, I find out they are polite and willing to bring out the best in me. Conversely, when I am confident in myself and my accomplishments, I have less fear, more confidence is projected; in the meeting, I find they are still polite but I get more help and more guidance.

35. Keith S. Aul says:

The people who are well know throughout the business world and entertainment and sport arenas are no different than anyone else other than the fact that they know was the common denominator of success is. They are willing to do what unsuccessful people are not willing to do.

Pauline Reply:

I think it is worth remembering that most successful people went through their phases of failure, insecurities and fear. I believe persistence is the key. With a sprinkling of luck and also being in the right place at the right time. Of course knowing the right people always helps.

36. Janet Rudd says:

Excellent Read. Thank You!

37. Sam M says:

Nothing to belittle anything you have written in the article, If I were Darren Hardy, I would be careful making statement “The top 10 jobs of 2010 didn’t even exist in 2004″. Healthcare/Nursing & IT were amongst the top and are still amongst the top 10. Great article! I like your “Best Year Ever” workbook.

Charm Reply:

I don’t see Healthcare/Nursing & IT on the Forbes Top 10 Best Jobs in 2010 but it doesn’t mean they aren’t good careers. Being in healthcare field, I will say that I’m grateful for being in a field where I get to do great help with patients and get paid with the value I deliver and more. Healthcare is fulfilling for the right person with right intentions. Perhaps Healthcare/Nursing/IT aren’t listed for other reasons and so the recent top 10 jobs will create more awareness and attention to those who aren’t aware that those jobs are great.

David Murrell Reply:

Charm ,hold some ones hand while they are sick or hurting and you will make a deference….

Hi Charm, I didn’t say it and it’s “in demand jobs” and comes from this source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9Wu2kWwSY and the other stat comes from U.S. Department of Labor

Charm Reply:

You’re correct Darren. What matters is loves what they do that fulfills their purpose. And if a job doesn’t fulfill someone’s purpose 100%, they better find productive ways to fulfill that purpose spot. Thank you!

Charm Reply:

Darren, my Aha moment right now is that it’s so important to keep studying and applying skills & knowledge or else someone will have an expired theory-based degree. Thanks!

Truer words were never spoken! The famous DO put their britches on one leg at a time! I remember attending a Doak Walker Awards Banquet several years back. I had VIP access prior to the dinner to meet with a number of super star football players. I took pictures and talked with the likes of Terry Bradshaw, Earl Campbell, Tony Dorsett, and Eddie George just to name a few. And guess what? They were as down to earth as any other mere mortal….lots of muscle….but still regular old guys! Especially Bradshaw – what you see on TV is exactly how he is in real life! Thanks for the great reminder!

Carpe diem,

Mike

39. Peggy Heintz says:

WOW! Very eye opening and an important thing to realize. Thank you for this insight.
    Peggy Heintz

1. скачать лучшие фильмы…

[...]#1 Skill for the 21st Century (Part 1 of 3) | Darren Hardy, Publisher of SUCCESS Magazine[...]…

2. торрент новинки кино…

3. [...] matter how much you may dislike the idea, networking is necessary to become really successful. Darren Hardy, the publisher of Success Magazine, writes: Your ability to get to, connect with and establish relationships with important and purposeful [...]

4. [...] by Darren Hardy on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 12:00 Since in Part 1 we challenged you to start networking toward your Big Kahuna prospective relationship, let me share [...]

5. [...] our May issue of SUCCESS you will find two fantastic interviews. One is with our 1-on-1 expert Peter Guber, who I have written about before (read here). The other is with social media maven Mari Smith. [...]

6. [...] our May issue of SUCCESS you will find two fantastic interviews. One is with our 1-on-1 expert Peter Guber, who I have written about before (read here).The other is with social media maven Mari Smith. [...]

7. [...] @DARRENHARDY: Your No. 1 asset during these expanding and fast-changing times: http://budurl.com/3f6m [...]

8. [...] We’ve established how critically important learning to effectively network your way to key relationships will be to your future (Part 1). [...]

9. [...] We’ve established how critically important learning to effectively network your way to key relationships will be to your future (Part 1). [...]

10. [...] in Part 1 we challenged you to start networking toward your Big Kahuna prospective relationship, let me share [...]