Happiness Is Not an Accident

Jim Rohn taught me, “Happiness is not an accident, it’s an art. You don’t hope for happiness, you plan for happiness. You have to weave happiness like a tapestry.

By the time you read this I will be in Monaco helping fulfill a lifelong dream for my father.

My dad is a big Formula One fan. The biggest and most celebrated race of the season is the Grand Prix of Monaco. My dad has never made it to “The Big One.” This year my wife Georgia and I are taking him and his wife. My dad is excited!

But I didn’t leave it there—the experience still needed weaving.

Months leading up to the trip I found an autographed vintage Monaco Grand Prix race poster from 1933 and had it framed and hand-delivered it to him. Later we sent him and his wife picture books on the South of France and the history of the race. Then we sent them all sorts of French accoutrements, sampling some of the things they would soon experience firsthand… weaving and weaving. And while we are there we have prepared all sorts of little surprises… continuing to weave.

How are your knitting skills?

Take a date night, an upcoming vacation, a companywide meeting, your next family night, something… and instead of just going through the motions, weave the experience like a tapestry—one layered with all sorts of wonderful textures to create a magnificent experience.

Try it and let me know

how it goes. I’d love to hear about it.

Share your thoughts, ideas and experiences in the comments below. Use the

‘Like’ and

‘Share’ buttons below too.

1. Chidi says:

Thanks for your beautiful article, indeed happiness is a choice and not an accident. Am going through a difficult financial time in my life, but I have never being happier in my life. I thank God for everything .

2. Kannan says:

Darren, I am a big F1 race fan since my 20′s. My ambition is to watch all races live before my life ends. I will keep you posted.

3. Scott says:

Darren, enjoy the time with your father. I like your idea about weaving. I agree, it’s so much fun to give, especially when you give more than what’s expected. Have a happy Memorial Day weekend.

4. Ritchie says:

Just shared a link with friends via Facebook. I enjoy the articles here and hope maybe I will be able to make someone else’s day a little better. Thanks Darren.

5. Tee says:

I think it was Oprah who said love is in the details. When you take the time to think things through like this makes it even more special. Good one!

6. AvanaNachia says:

Darren, I simply love every article written by u. It is so inspiring , motivating and carrying a wisdom too. I copy them into my journal.

Thank u and continue to keep up ur outstanding work to mankind !

Hey DH have fun in Monaco!! I wanted to share with you that I believe the article in June’s Success Magazine about Harriet Tubman was the most inspiring that I have ever seen. The fact that she lived to be 93 on pure toughness after all that she went through makes me feel like a WUSS with a capital W for ever getting stuck in my past. I am here today to promise you, Harriet, and myself to never ever again give in and tolerate less than my best possible results!!
    Just saying’

Have a magical trip my friend!!

8. Ken Portnoy says:

You’ve taken Rohn’s wisdom even further, building upon his foundation, weaving happiness not just for yourself, extending beyond yourself, to weave happiness into the lives of those most important to you, in this instance weaving for your family, for the man you credit with teaching you the key wisdoms for your own path to success, your father.

9. Cheryl says:

My husband’s birthday is on the 14th. On a special birth anniversary, I begun celebrating it on the first of the month, and gave him a gift every day through the 14.

10. Darren, congratulations and excellent job with your father and family.

My wife, Deb and I just returned on Sunday from a 4 day bucket date as we stayed at the Inn on Biltmore Estates.

Wow, what an inspiring place to be with your loved one. It an amazing case study of true entrepreneurship combined with preserving heritage, nature and the arts at it finest- Amazing experience for Deb and I to tour the 8500 acre Biltmore Estates, experience its beauty, and for the privilege of staying on site at the Inn at Biltmore. It’s an incredible story of how George Vanderbilt purchased 125,000 acres in 1895 while seeking a doctor in Asheville, NC to help his ill mother, invested in preserving the beauty of nature combined with arts and how the descendants over 100 years later to its current owners, Bill Cecil have sustained the beauty of nature and arts. This is a living business model for all of us to learn from. No government funding or tax payer money to sustain the 8500 acres, preserve the mansion and arts, and create an incredible experience for the public to enjoy nature, arts, the winery, the gardens, the mansion and the Inn to name a few. This is very unique how the Vanderbilt’s have shown us a way to preserve the beauty for all of us to enjoy through the free enterprise system and entrepreneurship. The entire staff on site are committed to excellence and shows in everything they do.

Thank you George Vanderbilt for your vision and Vanderbilt family members for setting the standard for all of us including our government can learn from.

1. There are no trackbacks for this post yet.