We need to rally together and do something about this!
I heard this statistic and tweeted about it yesterday:
@DARRENHARDY Get this stat:@end of this mo. 3M kids will graduate college-2.4M will be moving in with their parents!! They need SUCCESS!! Help me!
I got flooded with people saying the want to help, but asked how.
So, I asked my SUCCESS team to perform a fire drill to come up with a solution we could collectively use.
This is the problem we are trying to impact:
- Of the 3 million college students who will graduate this month, nearly 85% (2.4 million) of them have to move back in with their mom and dad!
- The unemployment rate for the under-25 group is as high as 54%!
- The U.S. Bureau of Labor reports 12.8 million young people (under age 30) are either unemployed, working part time or working at a job that doesn’t require a college degree, after spending tens of thousands to obtain one!
- Rick Raymond, of the College Parents of America, notes, “Graduates are not the first to be hired when the job markets begins to improve. We’re seeing shocking numbers of people with undergraduate degrees who can’t get work.”
- Sum Report finds that young adults without a college degree have been pushed out of the labor market entirely and are finding work at a lower rate than anytime since the end
of World War II!
What can we do about this? We can help them separate from everyone else by developing the success mindset, habits, actions and persistence it’s going to take to have them take personal accountability and control of their future. Whether they want to compete for their dream job or (better yet) take their ambition and initiate an entrepreneurial endeavor, they are going to need the inspiration, support, positive role models and mentors to help them realize their dreams.
There is NO better way to deliver all that to them than through a subscription to SUCCESS magazine and the personal mentorship of me and my mentor Jim Rohn. This is what I had my team put together:
- Copy of Challenge to Succeed by Jim Rohn. My all-time favorite personal-development program. This is what launched my success journey. I have listened to this no less than 60 times. It’s the best there is. This will be a life-changer for a new grad (anyone really).
- Complete set (book & audio program) of The Compound Effect. This is really what they need to read and hear. There are no ‘secrets,’ shortcuts or quick fixes to success, which takes hard work, personal responsibility and positive choices, along with a well-spelled-out formula for succeeding.
- Living Your Best Year Ever System (journal, goal-designing program and 4-CD audio program). A system of planning and execution is what they need to design a plan and to stick to that plan, and this is the step-by-step, week-to-week system that will guide them all along the way.
- AND… a 12-issue subscription to SUCCESS is included for FREE!! Every month they will be re-inspired, re-motivated and re-encouraged by seeing other people doing wonderful, amazing and difference-making things in the world, despite great challenges or obstacles.
- AND… as a special gift I had them add in the Jim Rohn Lessons on Life gift book
Here the genius of Jim Rohn (my wrap-up at his Tribute): http://youtu.be/VkEkxpIEiHc
Then I asked them (this was the hardest part) to cut the price as low as possible. Our first attempt was 30% off. After some arm wrestling with accounting, we were able to cut it by 57%! (Everyone is fired up about this!)
Okay, I have done my part (there’s at least two decades of my life in the above); now it’s up to YOU:
- How many college grads do you know?
- How many previous grads do you know who are still looking for their dream job or still trying to kick-start their life?
- How many unemployed, underemployed or budding entrepreneurs do you know?
- How many people do you know, who know any of the above 3?
Forward this blog to them (use email, Facebook, Twitter, yell out the window) and ask them to spread the word: http://darrenhardy.success.com/2011/05/helping-grads
Love to hear if you buy the package for a grad and if you help spread the word about this. Tell me what you do in the comments below. Thanks for helping me help our future leaders!